Young Artist Showcase
The Young Artist Showcase is a program that recognizes students in 6th through 12th grade who excel in the areas of art, music, writing, dance and drama. Professional judges are enlisted to judge the entries in each discipline, and trophies and ribbons are awarded to the winners at each school’s end of the year awards program along with the sports and academic awards that are traditionally given by the schools. This program fills a gap in local awards programs, showing students that they can be rewarded for excellence in the arts and creates an incentive for students to achieve excellence.
Students must be:
in 6th through 12th grade;
enrolled at BMS, BHS, St. Louis, or OA; live in the Batesville Community School Corporation and be homeschooled; or be members of BAAC.
Young artists can submit artwork through their school's art teacher for evaluation in the areas of 2D, 3D, Digital Art, and Photography.
The musical performances will be held on Wednesday, January 10, 2024. This is a non-competitive performance opportunity for students. Students have the opportunity to perform a solo or ensemble piece for a panel of highly-qualified and respected judges. The judges use a modified ISSMA rubric to provide feedback to the young artists on technique, musicianship, and accuracy while providing comments for improvement and growth. Local music teachers can help find fitting music for young musicians.
Registration is now open for the 2024 Music Showcase until December 15, 2023 @3pm. Click the links below to register:
Ensemble Registration - click here to Register
Instrumental Registration - click here to Register
Participants will receive an email in January 2024 with their performance time.
BAAC Contest Rules:
- Two copies of the music must be supplied for the judges (can be photocopies)
- Measures are to be numbered on the judges’ copies of the music.
- All other markings or notations are to be erased from the music.
- Student is responsible for his/her own accompaniment. Accompanist is preferred, but a good quality cd along
with a way to play the music is permissible.
- Student is responsible for his/her travel arrangements to the performance facility.
- Performance should last no longer than 5 minutes.
- Ensembles of 2-8 members may participate (1 ensemble per individual per category).
- Come well prepared + dress nicely.
- Do your best.
Students can submit a creative writing essay for evaluation in February 2024. Entries are judged within each school. Check back soon for more information on the 2024 Creative Writing evaluations.
Area judges attend regularly scheduled middle and high school drama performances to evaluate young thespians.